[Paraview] VTK access from python

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Tue Jan 29 07:50:48 EST 2013

There's a lot of VTK python modules, and unfortunately they are not all
imported with you import paraview.vtk from ParaView's python console.  But,
all the python modules are shipped with ParaView, as far as I know, they
just aren't imported.  I wish there was an easy way to import the full set
of vtk python modules in ParaView, maybe someone else knows a way?  The
only way I know how to do it is to import the modules manually.  For
example, to get the IOXML module:

>>> from vtkIOXMLPython import *

Or, you can create a new .py file (or edit the vtk/__init__.py file) to
import all the modules.  To find the __init__.py file:

>>> import paraview.vtk
>>> print paraview.vtk.__file__ # this the path to a .pyc file, edit the
.py file in the same directory

Either edit the __init__.py file, or create a new file named like
vtkFull.py and add import statements like:  from <modulename> import *.
Here's a long list of all the modules I found, depending on which version
you have, you might have a different list:

from vtkCPTestDriverPython import *
from vtkChartsCorePython import *
from vtkCoProcessorPython import *
from vtkCommonColorPython import *
from vtkCommonComputationalGeometryPython import *
from vtkCommonCorePython import *
from vtkCommonDataModelPython import *
from vtkCommonExecutionModelPython import *
from vtkCommonMathPython import *
from vtkCommonMiscPython import *
from vtkCommonSystemPython import *
from vtkCommonTransformsPython import *
from vtkDomainsChemistryPython import *
from vtkFiltersAMRPython import *
from vtkFiltersCorePython import *
from vtkFiltersCosmoPython import *
from vtkFiltersExtractionPython import *
from vtkFiltersFlowPathsPython import *
from vtkFiltersGeneralPython import *
from vtkFiltersGenericPython import *
from vtkFiltersGeometryPython import *
from vtkFiltersHybridPython import *
from vtkFiltersHyperTreePython import *
from vtkFiltersImagingPython import *
from vtkFiltersModelingPython import *
from vtkFiltersParallelPython import *
from vtkFiltersParallelStatisticsPython import *
from vtkFiltersProgrammablePython import *
from vtkFiltersSourcesPython import *
from vtkFiltersStatisticsPython import *
from vtkFiltersTexturePython import *
from vtkFiltersVerdictPython import *
from vtkIOAMRPython import *
from vtkIOCorePython import *
from vtkIOEnSightPython import *
from vtkIOExodusPython import *
from vtkIOExportPython import *
from vtkIOGeometryPython import *
from vtkIOImagePython import *
from vtkIOImportPython import *
from vtkIOInfovisPython import *
from vtkIOLSDynaPython import *
from vtkIOLegacyPython import *
from vtkIOMoviePython import *
from vtkIONetCDFPython import *
from vtkIOPLYPython import *
from vtkIOParallelExodusPython import *
from vtkIOParallelLSDynaPython import *
from vtkIOParallelPython import *
from vtkIOVPICPython import *
from vtkIOXMLParserPython import *
from vtkIOXMLPython import *
from vtkIOXdmf2Python import *
from vtkImagingColorPython import *
from vtkImagingCorePython import *
from vtkImagingFourierPython import *
from vtkImagingGeneralPython import *
from vtkImagingHybridPython import *
from vtkImagingMorphologicalPython import *
from vtkImagingSourcesPython import *
from vtkInfovisCorePython import *
from vtkInfovisLayoutPython import *
from vtkInteractionImagePython import *
from vtkInteractionStylePython import *
from vtkInteractionWidgetsPython import *
from vtkPVClientServerCoreCorePython import *
from vtkPVClientServerCoreDefaultPython import *
from vtkPVClientServerCoreRenderingPython import *
from vtkPVCommonPython import *
from vtkPVServerImplementationCorePython import *
from vtkPVServerImplementationDefaultPython import *
from vtkPVServerImplementationRenderingPython import *
from vtkPVServerManagerApplicationPython import *
from vtkPVServerManagerCorePython import *
from vtkPVServerManagerDefaultPython import *
from vtkPVServerManagerRenderingPython import *
from vtkPVVTKExtensionsCorePython import *
from vtkPVVTKExtensionsDefaultPython import *
from vtkPVVTKExtensionsRenderingPython import *
from vtkPVVTKExtensionsWebGLExporterPython import *
from vtkParallelCorePython import *
from vtkRenderingAnnotationPython import *
from vtkRenderingContext2DPython import *
from vtkRenderingCorePython import *
from vtkRenderingFreeTypeOpenGLPython import *
from vtkRenderingFreeTypePython import *
from vtkRenderingGL2PSPython import *
from vtkRenderingHybridOpenGLPython import *
from vtkRenderingLODPython import *
from vtkRenderingLabelPython import *
from vtkRenderingMatplotlibPython import *
from vtkRenderingOpenGLPython import *
from vtkRenderingParallelPython import *
from vtkRenderingVolumeAMRPython import *
from vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGLPython import *
from vtkRenderingVolumePython import *
from vtkTestingRenderingPython import *
from vtkViewsContext2DPython import *
from vtkViewsCorePython import *