[Paraview] viewing faces

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 28 11:07:40 EST 2013

I'm not sure what you mean by "view the external curved boundaries", so
I'll answer several questions at once.

If you mean you just want to see the surface, change the representation
(middle toolbar, combo box about in the middle) to "Surface" or "Surface
With Edges".

If you mean you have quadratic triangles in your unstructured mesh and
want to see them rendered as curved, use the "Surface" or "Surface With
Edges" representation, then go to the advanced display properties and
change the "Nonlinear Subdivision Level" as appropriate.

If you mean you want to extract the external boundary of your mesh, use
the "Extract Surface" filter.  The rendering should look exactly the same
as the original data.

If you mean you want to see the outline of the silhouette of the object
(the curve around the object in the image drawn on the screen), that is a
bit harder.  A few years back I remember some talk on the mailing list
about a special silhouette renderer, but I don't see any contributed
plugin for that.  You might get a reasonable approximation by instead
running the "Extract Surface" filter followed by the "Slice" filter.

-Ken