[Paraview] Paraview is running slow

Pradeep Jha pradeep at ccs.engg.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 4 19:11:48 EST 2013

Hello,

I installed Paraview on my Macbook Air with 1 processor and on a Linux
Machine with 32 processors. On both the systems I installed the the binary
form of Paraview (not from source code). I opened the same binary data file
on both systems which is 512 MB in size, but I find that the Paraview on
Linux is running far slower than the Mac. I am executing Paraview on both
machines by simply calling the paraview executable from command line.

I am the only user on both machines, so it is not affected by other users.

The processor information of both machines are given below.  Any ideas if I
am doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Pradeep

=============================
Processor information:
=============================

------------------------------
Mac
------------------------------
[pradeep at laptop ~]$sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3667U CPU @ 2.00GHz
[pradeep at laptop ~]$system_profiler | grep Processor
      Processor Name: Intel Core i7
      Processor Speed: 2 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1

----------------------------------
Linux
----------------------------------
processor : 31
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 45
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W 0 @ 3.10GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 1200.000
cache size : 20480 KB
physical id : 1
siblings : 16
core id : 7
cpu cores : 8
apicid : 47
initial apicid : 47
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp
lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc
aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16
xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat
epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 6184.20
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: