[Paraview] on how to set up an Amazon EC2 AMI instance to run ParaViewWeb

Scott Wittenburg scott.wittenburg at kitware.com
Mon Dec 30 11:38:36 EST 2013

Hi Gerard,

   I wrote that document, sorry for leaving out the instance type.  I just
had a look at the AWS console, and it appears the instance type I was
setting up was a "g2.2xlarge".  Your assumption that the document only
applies to gpu instances is correct, and although it is theoretically
possible to set up an instance to render with osmesa, I haven't done that
specifically on an EC2 instance.  I don't have any experience with the
t1.micro instance type, but I did author another paraview web document
regarding TurboVNC and VirtualGL, located
here<http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/js-doc/index.html#!/guide/virtualgl_turbovnc_howto>,
which you have maybe already seen.  Those instructions require that the
machine can run an X server, and I don't know if that's true for the
t1.micro instance type.

Cheers,
Scott