[Paraview] Blog: matplotlib View coming in ParaView 4.1

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Dec 17 10:29:22 EST 2013

Auré Lien,

Thanks for the feedback,

The Python View could certainly consume output from a
ProgrammableFilter. Did you have another way in mind to use matplotlib
from within a programmable filter? I don't think anything would stop
you from doing so, but to have any matplotlib plots show up in a
ParaView window, you would need to have your matplotlib code in the
Python View script.

You can access the Python View from the Python shell, but it might be
a little awkward. You would have to set the script in the Python View
as a string, e.g.

>>> view =paraview.simple.CreateView("PythonView")
>>> view.Script = """
... def setup_data(view):
...   print "setup_data"
... def render(view, figure):
...   print "render"
... """

You could imagine loading a matplotlib script this way, perhaps.

Best,
Cory