[Paraview] Gauss points

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Wed Dec 4 13:50:21 EST 2013

Hi Marios,

>          If I apply the InterpolatetoQuadraturePoints filter as shown
> in Figure 2 the output result is
> basically empty.
If you write the data arrays containing the scalar values at the Gauss
points to the file then you do not want to apply the "interpolate to qp"
filter. This filter's purpose is to generate these array from nodal
values. This means that you have to have the nodal values. You mentioned
that you've removed them so that you won't get confused, and that will
prevent this filter from working.

> If I apply the GenerateQuadraturePoints filter as shown in Figure 3
> the field data
> transformed to point data. Hence after the application of the
> GenerateQuadraturePoints the previous 9
> point data and 4 cell data are not exist anymore but together with the
> field data they transformed to 16
> point data representing the 16 Gauss points. Those 16 points have the
> correct coordinates and T values.
yes, that's what should happen. You're visualizing a different geometry
- the Gguass points - so data arrays on the original geometry will not
be available.

>          I tried to reproduce the same example using the GID software
> and the results are shown in
> Figure 4. Can I do something similar with Paraview? I want to have
> these contour lines instead of just
> point's information. I want to continue use Paraview because has some
> really powerful features that I
> like and I am sure this is trivial but I cannot find some way to do it.
you can't generate the contours on a point set, you first need to mesh
it. One way to do this would be to apply "delaunay 2d" to the point set.
Other approaches would be more efficient and produce better results but
would require you to write some code. eg. write out the mesh on the
Gauss points directly from your simulation.