[Paraview] About visualizing vtk files in Paraview to show data changes maybe with two layers?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Wed Dec 4 13:14:11 EST 2013

Xiao,

You can make ParaView compute a new data array that's the difference
between the values at 0 and the current timestep and then color with
that. To do that, do the following:

+ Open your snapshot000*.vtk file series as before.
+ Now, open just the  snapshoot0000.vtk file (the file for the first
time step) separately. In the file dialog, you can click on the "+"
icon next to the file group to expand the group and select a specific
file instead.
+ Next, select the filter series source as well as the
snapshoot0000.vtk source and create the Python calculator. Your
pipeline browser should like the one in the attached image.
+ Now for the Python calculator select Array Association as "Cell
Data" and setup an expression as follows to compare the quantities of
interest (as shown in the attached image).

    inputs[0].CellData["U"] - inputs[1].CellData["U"]

Now when you color by result, you'll be coloring by the difference in
the quantities  between timestep 0 and the current timestep.

Utkarsh