[Paraview] Gauss points

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 3 05:46:40 EST 2013

> 1. What the numbers 0 4 8 12 (line 24) represent?
This is the offset array used by VTK for random access into data on the
quadrature points data. To generate it you go cell by cell and
accumulate the number of quadrature points used by each cell. The next
cell's data offset is the sum of the previous cell's number of
quadrature points.

note that the documentation says that each array has a quadrature scheme
dictionary, but this changed. the dictionaries are stored in the offeset
array. we did this so that you only need to define one quadrature scheme
dictionary for many arrays.

> 2. What the QuadratureWeights are all zero (line 37)?
Those aren't currently used in VTK but we have a place holder for them
in case they are needed in user developed custom filters or later in VTK.

> 3. In your example there are 4 cells with 4 Gauss points in each cell.
> In total 16 Gauss points. If I want to assign to each Gauss point one
> value of stress or strain how I have to write those 16 values in xml
> format.
in my example you would read this file into PV and apply "interpolate to
quadrature points" and then "generate quadrature points".

You're asking about writing the data on the Gauss points into the file.
You have to store them in VTK FieldData and add an information key to
each array that names the offset array. You have to order them correctly
according to the offsets array and quadrature scheme. for example the
pdf I sent before shows how each cell's quadrature points are ordered
for one scheme. you won't write the points themselves, just the data values.

the T FieldData array in the following file is an example of containing
scalar values at quadrature points (watch out there's also a PointData
array named T that stores the nodal values),
http://www.hpcvis.com/vis/images/vtk-quadrature-points-example/quadrature-points-example-2.vtu

after reading such a file into PV, you could see the arrays in the
spreadsheet view but to see them in the 2d/3d view you'll need to apply
the "generate quadrature points" filter to produce the point set and
transfer the data onto it.