[Paraview] can vtkImplicitPlaneWidget be used in an XML-only paraview plug-in?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Aug 26 09:06:32 EDT 2013

> Many thanks for Your reply, Your effort to create an XML-plugin and the bug
> report. Would it help to compile paraview from source with
> Module_vtkImagingStencil set to ON on our own platform for testing or is
> there some code adjustment of paraview necessary to allow that?

No, it won't help. I did exactly that an ran into issues with
vtkImageStencil and ParaView. Evidently, we hadn't tried to use that
data-object in ParaView before.

> I guess it would not help to specify the location of a separately compiled vtk-5.10?

You are correct, it will not help. We need to track the issue down on
the ParaView side first.

> Do I understand correctly that with using port_index= You specify which
> output should go to which input?

That is correct. If not specified, 0 is assumed.

> What is calling e.g. the vtkImplicitPlaneWidget to get the interaction
> widget for specifying the implicit function parameters?

In this case, it's the "ProxyListDomain" associated with the
"ImplicitFunction" property. The domain refers to proxies viz.
("implicit_functions", "Plane"), etc. If you look at the xml
definitions for the same in ParaView
(ParaViewCore/ServerManager/SMApplication/Resources/utilities.xml),
you'll see that it provides a "<Hints>" section that suggests a
"PropertyGroup" of type "Plane". That's what's causing the GUI to show
the vtkImplicitPlaneWidget to control the Origin and Normal
properties.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Utkarsh