[Paraview] Paraview Benchmark and IceT timings

Tijs de Kler tijs.dekler at surfsara.nl
Thu Aug 22 04:40:47 EDT 2013

Hey all,

I am trying to do a benchmark, in order to be able to compare our GPU cluster and our Supercomputer. The GPU cluster has one Nvidia GTX680 per node
and 10G ethernet, while the supercomputer has no GPU's and Infiniband

In short, i open a file with 31 million triangles, run D3() to divide it over the processes, and render it to a 1600x1200 renderview, using a python
script (attached) and pvpython (paraview 3.98.1).

However, i am running into some unexpected deviations in my frame render times on the GPU-cluster, when using multiple (8+) nodes. Most frames render
in a constant time, but every so many frames i get one 2 to 3 times as slow.  The output of the benchmark module doesnt shine much light on the
subject: All processes report the same, much higher frame time for these frames, so it is not clear if one process is slowing the whole down.

Our initial hunch was that it might have to do with the compositing step: Since the infiniband is much faster in terms of latency and throughput, this
step might be more efficient on the Supercomputer.

My question is, is there a way to separate the benchmark times of the rendering and the compositing part of each frame?
Or is there any other advice on pinpointing the performance culprit?

regards,
Tijs de Kler
SURFsara Visualization