[Paraview] Problem with Pixie files: build 3.14.1 and 3.98.0

Claudio Zanni zanni at oato.inaf.it
Fri Nov 9 11:54:48 EST 2012

I already had this problem with Paraview 3.14.1 but I received no answer
to a first email,
so I tried to investigate on my own since the problem is still present
in release 3.98.0.

Paraview can not open a Pixie file (it's a HDF5 format included through
the VisIt Database
Bridge) when the file includes one timestep only: Paraview just hangs
indefinitely.
Everything works fine when multiple timesteps are contained in the file.

I suspect that the problem is connected to lines 618-634 in
Utilities/VisItBridge/AvtAlgorithms/vtkAvtFileFormatAlgorithm.cxx:

>   //in some case the times and cycles have all zero values.
>   //This is caused by a file reader that generates the time value
>   //once the reader moves to that timestep.
>   //That kind of behaviour is not possible currently in ParaView. Instead
>   //we will force the reader to generate the time values for each timestep
>   //by cycling through everytime step but not requesting any data.
>   if(hasTime && timesteps[0] == timesteps[timesteps.size()-1])
>     {
>     //we have hit a timestep range that needs to be cycled
>     for(int i=0; i < timesteps.size();++i)
>       {
>       this->ActivateTimestep(i);
>       //Nek and other readers don't update the time info intill you
>       //call gettimes.
>       this->AvtFile->FormatGetTimes(timesteps);
>       }
>     }
The condition is true not only when the same value (0?) has been
assigned to all
the timesteps but also when there is one timestep only (timesteps.size()
= 1).
Besides these lines were not present in Paraview 3.10/3.12 and these
releases
were able to open Pixie files containing one timestep only.

Is it possible to fix this problem? That would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Claudio

--
Claudio Zanni
INAF - Osservatorio Astronomico di Torino