[Paraview] Best way to make a part of a 3D field/VR invisible

Stéphane Backaert stephanebackaert at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:07:46 EST 2012

Dear all,

I have a big rectangular 3D field (few GB) sitting on a uniform grid (hdf5+xdmf reader, 3DCORECTMesh topology).
I would like to make a 3D volume rendering but only on a part of it as this scheme tries to show:
/------/
This helps me to visualize something placed near the center… Unfortunately, a "clip" or an "extract subset" do not help me…

Actually, I already did this operation but with some tricky operations like putting  the points of interest to zero directly in the hdf5 dataset…
(I did it serially, it took one night…). I am looking for a smarter way to do that…

Does anyone have an idea to do this? If it could also use the parallel feature of PV ;-)

Stephane

PS: this is not my first attempt, for example I tried with a custom filter:
http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2012-April/024738.html