[Paraview] smooth a contour surface

Tom Schoenemann toms at indiana.edu
Mon May 14 13:29:28 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I have figured out how to create a surface from a file (using contour).  However, the surface ends up looking like a step function, whereby the transitions are not smooth.  I assume this is because the file used to create the surface has a voxel resolution that is coarse enough for these transitions are obvious.  However, I'd like to smooth the surface in some way, to eliminate the obvious step transitions.  I've tried the smooth function, but that has minimal effect on my image.  I've also tried setting "compute normals" on the contour filter.  This does smooth the edges, but it doesn't eliminate the obvious steps along the surface.  Is there any way to smooth the surface even more, perhaps by iterations of eroding and dilating?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-Tom

P. Thomas Schoenemann

Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405
Phone: 812-855-8800
E-mail: toms at indiana.edu

Open Research Scan Archive (ORSA) Co-Director
Consulting Scholar
Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
University of Pennsylvania

Homepage: http://mypage.iu.edu/~toms/