[Paraview] Reading a constant EnSight Geometry Mesh with Variables that Change over Time

John.CTR.Mick at faa.gov John.CTR.Mick at faa.gov
Tue May 8 16:16:59 EDT 2012

Hello!
     I am currently trying to create an EnSight Gold dataset that defines
a Structured Grid Geometry Mesh that is constant for all time values, but
the VARIABLES section contains scalars which change over time.  This is
extremely desirable, as it reduces the file size significantly by not
requiring me to repeat a large mesh of points for each timestep - when the
mesh itself is constant and never changes over time.

     I saw this issue was brought up back in 2006, and it does not appear
that the thread was ever resolved:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2006-November/004180.html
Has anybody had any luck defining a constant mesh with variables changing
over time within the mesh with EnSight?

I have attached an example snippet of what I have come up with so far.
This file will pass the "ens_checker" validation program provided with the
EnSight software, but when I attempt to open it in ParaView, ParaView
locks up and crashes.

Best Wishes!
     -John Mick

EnSight Gold CASE File: