[Paraview] VRPN Problem

Nikhil Shetty nikhil.shetty at kitware.com
Mon Mar 12 07:03:50 EDT 2012

Hi Christian,

Yes this will be a little annoying till a GUI is developed to handle this.
But right now we have need to manually figure this out.

You need to construct your pipeline and have pv Proxy Objects in place
before you can apply VR interactor styles to them.

So things like 'RenderView1.HeadPose' implies 'Proxy.Property'. The state
file stores this information about what Proxies and properties are
available so you could infer this info from the state file. An easier way
to figure out the objects available is to use the Property Linking Tool in
the GUI

Tools->Manage Links->Add->Mode:PropertyLinks

I am attaching a sample state file which may be useful.

-Nikhil

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Christian Wohlschlager <
Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> <Tracker name="cspad.head"/>
>>
>> </Style>
>>
>> <Style class="vtkVRStyleGrabNUpdateMatrix"
>> set_property="RenderView1.WandPose">
>>
>> <Tracker name="cspad.wand"/>
>>
>> <Button name="cspad.1"/>
>>
>> <MatrixProperty name="RenderView1.WandPose"/>
>>
>> </Style>
>>
>> <Style class="vtkVRStyleGrabNTranslateSliceOrigin"
>> origin="CutFunction.Origin">
>>
>> <Button name="cspad.2"/>
>>
>> <Tracker name="cspad.wand"/>
>>
>> </Style>
>>
>> <Style class="vtkVRStyleGrabNRotateSliceNormal"
>> normal="CutFunction.Normal">
>>
>> <Button name="cspad.3"/>
>>
>> <Tracker name="cspad.wand"/>
>>
>> </Style>
>>
>> </VRInteractorStyles>
>>
>> </!-->
>>

>> the thing is i dont know what i should fill in for
>>

>>  <Style class="vtkVRStyleTracking" set_property="RenderView1.HeadPose">
>>

>>  RenderView1.HeadPose
>>
>> or
>>
>> <Style class="vtkVRStyleGrabNTranslateSliceOrigin"
>> origin="CutFunction.Origin">
>>
>> CutFunktion.Origin
>>

>>    I understand your concern. The wiki page does document this very
> well. But typically the interactor styles help you choose what type of
> interaction you want to do. If you want head tracking use the
> vtkVRStyleTracking which uses tracking data 'cspad.head' and changes the
> property RenderView1.HeadPose (in the state file)
>

>   If your scene has a slice and you want to manipulate the slice then you
> can use vtkVRStyleGrabNTranslateSliceOrigin style. It basically takes
> tracker inputs and a button to change the slice origin
> (CutFunction.Origin). So you can press button and move the wand to move the
> slice plane.
>

>   I will be updating the document with more info about the interactor
> styles.
>

>    thank you for your help
>>

>>  christian
>>

>> Christian Wohlschlager
>> JKU Universität Linz
>> Altenbergerstr.69
>> 4040 Linz
>> Austria
>>

>>   >>> Nikhil Shetty <nikhil.shetty at kitware.com> 3/8/2012 2:24 PM >>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>

>>   Here is the latest documentation for Paraview in CAVE
>>
>> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/CAVE_Display
>>

>>   The --vrpn option was replaced with a different mechanism (see
>> document). Can you send me a reference to the page where you found the info
>> so that can be updated.
>>

>>   -Nikhil
>>

>>   On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Christian Wohlschlager <
>> Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hy !
>>>

>>>  Hy I'm using ParaView 3.14 in a Cave environment using VRPN when i try
>>> to start ./pvserver --vrpn . It says cannot open file --vrpn) ( which
>>> should mean the swtich --vrpn is not know) but on the Homepage of ParaView

>>> 4040 Linz