[Paraview] question about color mapping

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jun 28 15:49:18 EDT 2012

It doesn't affect the scalars themselves, just the colors that are
assigned to them.

Say you use a red to green to blue color map, with red corresponding
to -10 and green corresonding to 0 and blue corresponding to 10.

Say you apply some filter or step to another timestep and your new
data values change from having a range of -10 to 10 to a new range of
9 to 10. All the data now looks blue.

If you click rescale to color range, the data that has a value of 9
will now look red instead and you will see all the colors along the
map.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer