[Paraview] question about color mapping

Tom Schoenemann toms at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 28 15:25:02 EDT 2012

In the "Edit Color Map" section of the display, one of the options is to "Rescale Range". Hovering over it with the mouse it says: "Click this button to rescale the color map to a new range"

Does this mean that, e.g., if my scalar values go from 2 to 10, and I use this "Rescale Range" option to have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 9, does Paraview literally rescale the values, so that 2 now becomes 3, 10 now becomes 9, and all the intermediate values are similarly shifted?  Or does this mean that every value between 2 and 3 now gets colored the same as 3, and everything between 9 and 10 gets colored the same as 9?

In other words, are the scalar values being compressed, or just truncated, with respect to the colors?

Thanks for any clarification,

-Tom

P. Thomas Schoenemann

Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405
Phone: 812-855-8800
E-mail: toms at indiana.edu

Open Research Scan Archive (ORSA) Co-Director
Consulting Scholar
Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
University of Pennsylvania

Homepage: http://mypage.iu.edu/~toms/