[Paraview] VTK reader does not populate properties dialog?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Jun 15 15:10:26 EDT 2012

The output type of this reader is a "curvilinear structured grid"
(vtkRectilinearGrid). ParaView will only volume render vtkImageData
(completely structured) and vtkUnstructuredGrid (completely
unstructured). So, convert what you have to an unstructured grid. A
simple way to do that is apply the threshold filter and make the
threshold include the entire range. Then volume rendering will be
available to use.

For streamlines, the help for StreamTracer under Input Restrictions
(http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/List_of_filters#Stream_Tracer),
says the input must be a vtkDataSet (which all of the above subclass)
so you are fine there. But it also says that the data set must
contains a point centered array with three components. You may need to
apply the cell to point filter to do that, or possibly use the
calculator filter to combine three independent point arrays into a
single vector array.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer