[Paraview] Internationalization of Paraview

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Fri Jun 8 22:54:59 EDT 2012

Hi Karl,

I am aware that there once was a developer who started creating a
Japanese version of ParaView and have seen someone mention the
existence of a Chinese version but don't know their current
statuses. Technically, modifying ParaView to handle menus and message
texts in foreign languages should not be difficult thanks to the
internationalization framework of Qt. However I don't think
translating all menus and message texts and (more importantly) keeping
the translated resources up-to-date will be an easy task for an active
project like ParaView (it depends on what amount of available human
resources you have though).

Meanwhile, our group have translated Kenneth Moreland's The ParaView
Tutorial to Japanese (http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/The_ParaView_Tutorial).
The translation was last updated for PV 3.8 thus looks a bit outdated
regarding the version number but most of the contents are still
applicable to the current version, becuase the tutorial is more or
less focused on the background philosophy and knowledge of ParaView
while dealing with practical exercises on its operation in rather
version independent way.

It would be great if someone creates a Japanese version of ParaView,
but we find it more realistic to translate such textbook materials
than to create and maintain a translated version of PV if available
resources are limited.

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN