[Paraview] Paraview v 3.14, GradientOfUnstructuredDataSet1, vorticity

Ricardo Reis rreis at aero.ist.utl.pt
Wed Jun 6 12:02:30 EDT 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Moreland, Kenneth wrote:

> I am guessing that Vorticity in your dataset is a 3D vector (which is
> typical) and that Q Criterion is a scalar.
>
> When you take the gradient of a vector, you get a 3x3 tensor (an estimate
> of the Jacobian matrix, I believe).  These 9-tuples are not as widely
> recognized in ParaView/VTK filters as scalars and vectors so they will not
> be listed in selection combo boxes for inputs.  You should still see the
> entry listed in the Information panel, though.

This filter, besides calculating the gradient, gives me the option to also
calculate

  Compute Vorticity
  Compute QCriterion

I'm starting from a velocity vector field. I would expect to obtain,
after the filter and selecting all options:

  - a gradient (here it gives only 3 main directions)
  - a vorticity vector field
  - a scalar field with QCriterion

  Of these, the vorticity field is absent, even in the information panel.

  best,

  Ricardo Reis

  --

  PhD/MSc Mechanical Engineering | Lic. Aerospace Engineering

  Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
  http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

  Cultural Instigator @ Rádio Zero
  http://www.radiozero.pt

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreis/

  contacts:  gtalk: kyriusan at gmail.com  skype: kyriusan

  Institutional Address:

  Ricardo J.N. dos Reis
  IDMEC, Instituto Superior Técnico, Technical University of Lisbon
  Av. Rovisco Pais
  1049-001 Lisboa
  Portugal

                       - email sent with alpine 2.00 -