[Paraview] Paraview v 3.14, GradientOfUnstructuredDataSet1, vorticity

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Jun 6 11:39:01 EDT 2012

I am guessing that Vorticity in your dataset is a 3D vector (which is
typical) and that Q Criterion is a scalar.

When you take the gradient of a vector, you get a 3x3 tensor (an estimate
of the Jacobian matrix, I believe).  These 9-tuples are not as widely
recognized in ParaView/VTK filters as scalars and vectors so they will not
be listed in selection combo boxes for inputs.  You should still see the
entry listed in the Information panel, though.

In contrast, when you take the gradient of a scalar, you get a vector,
which is understood by and leveraged by many filters.

-Ken