[Paraview] View geometry / boundaries

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue Jul 31 08:27:35 EDT 2012

> when viewing the distribution of, say, temperature within a geometry, I
> would like to see the different bodies in the geometry as outline (resp. the
> boundaries as surfaces) at the same time. Is this possible? Which
> information is required in the vtu file (which maybe isn’t there – how can I
> check that?)? Or else is there the possibility to overlay a mesh or geometry
> file (.msh, .step, …) in the view?

Are you sure you mean outline i.e. just a cube around the data bounds,
or a wireframe? If the latter, then doesn't simply changing the
representation to "Surface with Edges" give you what you want?

> I have succeeded to convert my geometry to stl which can be superposed to
> the vtk data in Paraview. This is OK so far, however it is a bit clumsy if I
> want to make a cut (slice) – I have to apply two slices, one for each
> dataset (vtk and stl). Does someone know a more elegant way to have geometry
> and results in the same view?

To solve your two-slice issue, select both the sources and create the
"Group Datasets" filter. Now you can apply the slice to just this
filter and both dataset will be operated on.

Utkarsh