[Paraview] Software Rendering or Hardware Rendering

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Mon Dec 17 12:09:06 EST 2012

Hi Kevin,

ParaView can use  the GPU's and serial rendering performance is better
with the GPU. Parallel performance is a little harder to pin down, since
when multiple processes feed the same GPU this creates resource
contention which when the ratio of processes to GPU's is high hurts
performance. The performance you see all depends on the specific GPUs
and CPUs in question and the specifics of your use case such as dataset
size, poly's vs volume rendering, number of procs per gpu and so on.

You could very easily have two ParaView builds, one for hardware
rendering and one for software rendering available on the same system
and select the one to use as needed.

To use PV in parallel you need to build it yourself, I'm assuming you
have done this. If you haven't taken precautions to build PV for use
with OSMesa then you are using what ever OpenGL library is found, you
can take a look in the CMake cache to see what was found or you could
use the ldd command on one of the compiled libraries, point it at one of
VTK's open gl rendering libs.

Burlen