[Paraview] Animation AND Coprocessing - the right file format, vtk or xdmf?

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Dec 17 10:36:53 EST 2012

Hi Claudio,

For co-processing, I haven't tried writing out everything into a single
xdmf format. I'm not sure how well that would work as I don't know enough
about the internals of the xdmf writer. The problem I see is that if it
tries to keep things in memory and writing it all in one shot it could
cause serious memory issues. If it just appends the file it could work
though.

Another alternative though if you just want to view the results with
co-processing is to use the live in-situ option. To do that, when exporting
the Python co-processing script check the "Live Visualization" option. Then
when running, start up the ParaView GUI and select Tools->Connect to
Catalyst. This is still experimental though so there may be a couple of
other issues to get past in order to get it working properly.

Andy