[Paraview] Animation AND Coprocessing - the right file format, vtk or xdmf?

Claudio Findeisen findeisen at mechanik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 14 07:23:28 EST 2012

Dear Paraview users,

we are planing to use Paraview for our calculations and i've done some research on the availible file formats. But there are some points I do not understand or i can't find any Informations on it. I hope one of you had similar questions and might help me now.

There are several things we want to do and i'am not sure which file format is the right one for us:

1. We want to animate our results, meaning we have datas for every time step and want to make an animation out of this.

Problem: Vtk File format can do this, but as I see it, you need an extra file for every time step.As If we are having about >10000 timesteps this is getting a bit cumbersome. Is that right or is there a way to put all the datas in one file?
As an alternativ there is the xdmf file format, there i already figuered out a way to put all the time step datas in one file. But the Problem is:

2. We want to use the facility of Coprocessing, meaning we want to see our results just in time during the simulation.

Problem: As I understood the ParaView User Guide this is only possible with the vtk File Format or is there an "easy" way to realise this with the xdmf Format?

Last but not least we want to use existing libarys to write our datas with C or C++.

Regards,
Claudio