[Paraview] new memory inspector panel documentation

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Dec 5 07:19:09 EST 2012

Hi John,

Thanks for the patch!  Actually, funny you should send this email... I just
revived this this branch, 13024-debug-leaks-view, over the weekend.  I
encountered that same thing as you did, merge conflicts and an annoying
dependency on vtkViewsQt.

Unfortunately, the vtkQtDebugLeaksView got moved into vtkViewsQt during
modularization, even though it doesn't have a dependency on vtkViews.  I'll
submit a patch to vtk to move the class into vtkGUISupportQt where I think
it belongs, then I'll get 13024-debug-leaks-view merged into ParaView.

It's fine if you want to do work on moving dock panels around, I don't have
any new development on the class planned.

> Is it feasible to view debug leaks on remote nodes?

It would be feasible, and could be quite useful!  Might not be the most
straightforward to implement, though.  Also, I'm not sure to what extent
you use the python console in ParaView for debugging, but it's always been
a dream of mine to add a feature that allows the python console to inspect
remote objects on server nodes.

Pat