[Paraview] [Paraview-users] Is it possible to use xdmf + netcdf for Paraview?

Jason Fleming jason.fleming at seahorsecoastal.com
Wed Aug 22 11:43:32 EDT 2012

Hello

Yes I am happy to post the source code anywhere you like! Let me tell
you more about this utility that I've written:

1. The utility is generateXDMF.f90 (435 lines) ... plus adcmesh.f90 (263
lines), both written in fortran (since the developer community for this
model is most familiar with fortran).

2. Highly specific to the ADCIRC finite element coastal ocean model
(i.e., unstructured data); not a general utility for any random type of
netcdf4 output. But could be useful as an example code for other
Paraview users.

3. Uses netcdf calls (not hdf5 calls) to open the data files, figure out
the dimensions, etc. Our community is more familiar with netcdf.

4. Recognizes 15 different ADCIRC output files and is able to write XDMF
for them.

5. Supports only 2D depth integrated ADCIRC output, but support for 3D
ADCIRC output would be straightforward to add.

6. Supports time varying ADCIRC output by writing datasets as a Temporal
Collection in the xml.

Mainly, I just wanted to point out that this is not a general tool, but
is specific to the data files produced by the ADCIRC model.

I've not used git yet (my projects all rely on svn), and I'm not sure
what is the best way to post to the XDMF wiki. Please advise. I'll email
the source code to the kitware developers directly to provide more
complete info.

Cheers
Jason