[Paraview] Paraview 3.14.1 Tecplot Reader Errors

Beichuan Yan beichuan.yan at Colorado.EDU
Mon Aug 20 14:53:36 EDT 2012

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your feedback. While we are hoping that Paraview developers resolve this problem and accomplish a usable Tecplot reader, I may rewrite a code to output my data as legacy .vtk ASCII files.

May I ask you a question? it is probably simple: how to convert a legacy .vtk ASCII file to a binary file. Tecplot provides such a command line tool, preplot, which compresses data greatly before loading into Tecplot, otherwise uncompressed data could eat up all the memory quickly. For my own large scale simulation of particles, one snapshot generates as much as 14GB data for Tecplot, and preplot shrinks them to 2GB! I will run Paraview in parallel processing mode, but it is always optimal to compress ASCII data into binary before loading them into Paraview.

Thanks,
Beichuan Yan

From: Richard GRENON [mailto:richard.grenon at onera.fr]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 2:52 AM
To: Beichuan Yan; paraview at paraview.org
Subject: Re: [Paraview] Paraview 3.14.1 Tecplot Reader Errors

Hello.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous mail: I see in the Tecplot reader help that it should be able to read unstructured:

 The output of the reader is a vtkMultiBlockDataset, of which each block is either a vtkStructuredGrid or a vtkUnstructuredGrid.

But I never succeeded in reading my own Tecplot unstructured grids with triangle elements, so I can't help you for this type of file.

Also, I had some problems in reading some structured grids because some Tecplot options in the ZONE card are not recognized by the reader, and I had to suppress it. The Tecplot reader should still be improved.

But if you try again Tecplot files with Structured or Unstructure grids, don't forget the two header lines for title and variables.

Richard.

--

 Richard GRENON

 ONERA

 Departement d'Aerodynamique Appliquee - DAAP/ACI

 8 rue des Vertugadins

 92190 MEUDON - FRANCE

 phone : +33 1 46 73 42 17

 fax   : +33 1 46 73 41 46