[Paraview] application specific questions

Bond, Karina Paula Carvalho bond22 at llnl.gov
Tue Apr 24 12:43:19 EDT 2012

Hi ,

I am pretty new to Paraview but I have been playing with Paraview quite a bit recently. But the bulk of my time has been spent trying to get my data into a form that Paraview will accept. I chose *.vtk ( unstructured grid legacy VTK format).

So basically what I am working on is Segmentation of Volumetric CT data from X-ray scans .i.e  we  develop algorithms to pull out objects from CT data. So I'd like to view the volume rendered ( and sometimes concurrently view the slice data) CT data of the bag. Then I would also like to bring in the segmented objects(output from our algorithms) and overlay them on top of the CT data in Paraview. I would like to have a different color for each object. So here's how far I have got

1.       I can bring in the CT data ( as *.vtk ) and volume render it. It's looks good.

2.       I can then bring in a segmented object ( another  *.vtk file) and view it with the CT data to evaluate how well I did.

What I need to know how to do.

1.       Will Paraview allow me to specify a differ color bar for the CT data ( I'd like to use one of the presets - X-ray) and  the segmented objects after the data has been loaded into Paraview? OR do I have to specify a "Look UP table" in my VTK files? Currently I am just using the "Default" keyword.

2.       Is there a way to have one file for the CT data and all the segmented objects? I will be segmenting a large number of object s from the data and loading them into Paraview one at a time would not be efficient. If there is such a file, will Paraview allow me to view/un-view each object separately?

3.        I am currently running Paraview on my desktop (windows 7) which has a pretty good processor and 16GB of RAM. I store the CT data as a structured point VTK file and the segmented objects as unstructured grid VTK files. Some of the CT data sets are pretty large on the order of 512x512x1000 points. The volume rendering is not instantaneous when I rotate the object. Is this expected ? And if so , is the delay because of the processor, the RAM or the graphics card? Also, the rendering for the unstructured grid VTK is even slower.  I would think this is expected given the delay for the structured grid - I would think Paraview has to work harder because of the unstructured nature of the points. Correct? Is there a more optimal way to present my data to Paraview?

Thanks!

Karina