[Paraview] Color map removed in ParaView 3.14, please put back later

Russell M. Taylor II taylorr at cs.unc.edu
Fri Apr 20 12:42:49 EDT 2012

Thank you for supporting ParaView!  It is an excellent tool for
teaching, for research, and we've found it to be a good platform for research.

I notice that the only isoluminant color map (CIELab blue to red) has
been removed from the list of available color maps, replaced with yet
more variations on the rainbow color map (for a total of five).

I won't take the opportunity to repeat the reasons that there is
always a better color map than rainbow
(http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=4118486&tag=1
lays this out for the umpteenth time), but I would like to request
that the CIELAB one be put back.

When I want to map onto a surface and therefore need an isoluminant
map, I find myself (and the students in my class) having to construct
it myself each time.  This is about half the time I use
Paraview.  For the other half, I use the Blackbody radiation
spectrum, which is still there.

Russ

---
Russell M. Taylor II, Ph.D.                           taylorr at cs.unc.edu
CB #3175, Sitterson Hall                        www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr
University of North Carolina,                     Voice: (919) 962-1701
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                        FAX:   (919) 962-1799