[Paraview] use the same scalar data to create contour and color the surface

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Sun Apr 8 08:30:32 EDT 2012

Tom,

An isosurface by definition has the same scalar value everywhere on
the surface, so what you describe happening is exactly what should
happen, unless I misunderstand. You could contour by one scalar field
and color by another scalar field and expect to see different colors,
but if you try to color by the same scalar, you should expect to see
only one color on the surface.

Cory

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Tom Schoenemann <toms at indiana.edu> wrote:
> I have a single volume dataset that has scalar values only on a surface, and
> zeros everywhere else.  The scalar values represent statistics we have
> calculated for each point on a surface.  I've been able using the contour
> filter to create an isosurface from this dataset, but I can't get the
> surface to display anything other than a single color.  I have tried setting
> "contour by" to "compute normals" and "compute scalars", and then going to
> "display" and choosing "color by" scalars.  However, only a single value is
> allowed.  I have tried unselecting "automatically rescale to fit data range"
> and then entering my own range, but only my minimum value is accepted (even
> if I enter a different value for the maximum).
>
> Perhaps I am using paraview the wrong way, but I have to say, it isn't
> intuitive.  Is there a way to use the same scalar data (same file) to both:
> 1) create a surface, and 2) color code the surface based on the same scalar
> values?
>
> Thanks for any hints or suggestions.
>
> -Tom

Cory Quammen