[Paraview] Using field data as text source?

Mark S. Bentley mark at lunartech.org
Fri Sep 23 12:45:15 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I've been using ParaView to view discrete element model data, imported
as a time series of legacy VTK files. I've just added field data to the
output data so that I have per-timestep global data (e.g. thermal energy
of the system, number of particles etc.). This loads into ParaView fine
alongside by particle data.

Now I would like to write this out to the screen as text during
animations, but can't figure out a way to do it - can the text source
not use a Field Data variable as its source? Is there something I'm
missing, or should I hit python?

Regards,

Mark