[Paraview] compute min/max of data array and annotate max and min values for each time step

Guzas, Emily L CIV NUWC NWPT emily.guzas at navy.mil
Tue Sep 13 14:28:56 EDT 2011

Hello,
I am a ParaView newbie and I am trying to compute the maximum and minimum values of one array (e.g. pressure or density) in a multi-block dataset (*.exo) file in ParaView, and then display those maximum and minimum values on screen with text. To make this more fun, the dataset includes time data, and so what I really want to be able to do is to compute the maximum and minimum values of the array and display them on-screen for each time step so that when I animate the data, the max/min values update as the animation runs.
Could someone point me in the right direction for how to do this?
I looked at the Calculator filter, but I don't see any maximum and minimum functions there (not that I expected to see them). And I just started looking at the Python Programmable Filter, but I am not familiar with the vtk class and so this route will involve a bit of a learning curve to figure out the syntax for what I need to accomplish.
Thanks,
Emily