[Paraview] installation problem on ubuntu 10.04

Alessandro Comunian alessandro.comunian at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 00:26:15 EDT 2011

2011/9/9 Alessandro Comunian :
> 2011/9/8 Michael:
>> On Thu 08 Sep 2011 02:17:20 PM CEST, Alessandro wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install ParaView from the sources, but the make process
>>> stops with the following message:
>>>
>>> ===================================================================
>>>
>>> [  8%] Building CXX object
>>> VTK/Utilities/Cosmo/CMakeFiles/Cosmo.dir/SODHalo.cxx.o
>>> Linking CXX shared library ../../../bin/libCosmo.so
>>> [  8%] Built target Cosmo
>>> [  8%] Building CXX object
>>> VTK/Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyph.cpp.o
>>> [ ... ]
>>> [  8%] Building CXX object
>>> VTK/Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTSize.cpp.o
>>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/libGL.so', needed by
>>> `bin/libvtkftgl.so.pv3.10'.  Stop.
>>> make[1]: *** [VTK/Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/all] Error 2
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>
>>> ===================================================================
>>>
>>> Do you have some suggestion about how to investigate and solve the
>>> problem please?
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>> Bests,
>>>
>>> Alessandro
>>

>> Install the libgl1-mesa-dev package, it contains /usr/lib/libGL.so.
>> Finding out things like this is very easy with apt-file:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install apt-file
>> sudo apt-file update
>> apt-file search /usr/lib/libGL.so
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Thank you Michael, apt-file is a really useful package...
> still, the library "libGL.so" and the package "libgl1-mesa-dev" was
> already installed in my system (cmake automatically recognize it and
> associate it to the variable OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY).
> I had a look into the file "CMakeError.log" but without succes... any
> other suggestion?
> Bests,
>
> Alessandro

Hello,

I have solved the problem installing:
1) the proprietary drivers proposed by ubuntu (System ->
Administration -> Hardware Drivers)
2) replaced then by a driver downloaded directly from the nvidia site.

I am not sure, but probably if you install directly (and only) the
nvidia drivers proposed by the vendor and you ignore the suggestions
of "ubuntu" (because actually you have already installed the drivers
directly from the vendor), then there is some lacking library or some
incompatibility which is difficult to detect..

Bests,

Alessandro