[Paraview] ParaView GUI hanging in debug mode

Adriano Gagliardi agagliardi at ara.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 08:57:31 EDT 2011

Dear All,

I'm trying to debug a parallel reader I am working on. I normally work with
gdb and ParaView in serial client-server mode, which works fine. However,
I'm now trying to debug the client-server mode when run in parallel using
MPICH2 and I'm encountering issues.

I've tried the following:

(1) Run parallel pvserver first -> attach gdb to a process id -> start
paraview client -> connect to server -> Result: client connected message
appears then the client hangs.

>>> mpirun -np 16 /path/to/ParaView-3.10.1-Debug/bin/pvserver
>>> gdb --pid xxxx
>>> paraview
>>> (connect to client)

(2) Run parallel pvserver first with gdb -> Result: pvserver does not start
properly (no port message or waiting for client).

>>> mpirun -np 16 gdb /path/to/ParaView-3.10.1-Debug/bin/pvserver
gdb>> run
>>> (server hangs)

I tried the second option just in case it worked, but I was sure (and
work. I am using ParaView 3.10.1 Release built on CentOS5.4 using standard
OS libraries with MPICH2.1.3.

Is there something I've done wrong here? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adriano

===================================

Adriano Gagliardi MEng PhD
Business Sector Leader
Computational Aerodynamics
Aircraft Research Association Ltd.
Manton Lane
Bedford

Tel: 01234 32 4644
E-mail: agagliardi at ara.co.uk

This email contains information that is private and confidential and is intended only for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient please delete it and notify us immediately by e-mailing the sender.
Note: All email sent to or from this address may be accessed by someone other than the recipient, for
system management and security reasons.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd.  Registered in England, Registration No 503668 Registered Office:
Manton Lane, Bedford MK41 7PF England VAT No GB 196351245