[Paraview] Slicing or clipping the global sphere to the mailing list ParaView

Lester Anderson lester_anderson1963 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 04:40:30 EDT 2011

Hello Paul and Paraview,

Thanks for the reply - resending this without the pics (forgot the 500kb limit!). The data have been projected into spherical coordinates from the original Long/Lat, so X,Y and Z are in kilometers. Not sure if this helps to clarify or not.

I am working with seismic tomography data. The original Lat, Long, radius, anomaly matrix was loaded as a CSV file and then projected into a sphere:

(coordsZ*cos(coordsX*3.14159265/180)*cos(coordsY*3.14159265/180))*iHat+(coordsZ*sin(coordsX*3.14159265/180)*cos(coordsY*3.14159265/180))*jHat+(coordsZ*sin(coordsY*3.14159265/180))*kHat

Loading up a coastline file helps to fix ones position and can use that as a reference for slicing but it is not perfect and needs a lot of tweaking to get the profile right. Looking at the numbers it appears to be radians so one can do the inverse calculation.

I now think I have resolved the issue as the values for the normal can be defined as radians and so feeding in the converted value (angle_in_degrees x pi/180) works - tested for 30 degree slices.
Attached some screen caps to show the workings - hopefully I have got it sorted.

Perhaps it would be useful to have Paraview automatically indicate that the normal values are in Radians (following a degree to Radians conversion in the calculator filter) to avoid confusion.

Regards

Lester