[Paraview] loading nc formatted data

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri Mar 18 10:30:51 EDT 2011

Hi Simon,

Replies below...

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Simon Su <newsgroup4ssu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/1.png
> ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/2.png
> ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/3.png
>
> the above are screen shot from older version of *.nc files that I have that
> I loaded up with Paraview 3.10.0 64-bit which I compiled myself. As you can
> see, the grid is correctly loaded. But in the data, there is a crack. Is
> there a filter that can fix this in ParaView? :)

I'm not aware of any filter that will fix this automatically.   Can you
describe the grid a bit more?  It kind of looks like a multiblock of
structured grids.

> ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/4.png is the latest nc file that
> I have of similar simulation preprocessed output. When I loaded it up, it is
> clearly doing making assumption on the grid that is not correct and hence,
> the double looking grid.
>
> The questions now are:
>
> 1. ParaView has lots of *.nc file loader. How do I know which loader is
> ParaView using to load the data? If I pick a type for the Files of type
> option in the open File window, will that gurantees that ParaView will be
> using that particular file loader?

If there is an ambiguity for which file loader to use (i.e. multiple readers
assume the same extension), then the GUI should pop up a dialog for you to
specify which one to use.  You can use the python trace to figure out
exactly what reader is being used to load the file.

> 2. If I know which loader is used, I would like to see if I can modify the
> existing loader to create a new type of *.nc file loader to fix the grid of
> my data. Where is the code in the source tree of ParaView is the loader
> plugin placed?

Based on the name of the name of the reader from the python script, you can
look up the actual class name in the
ParaView/Servers/ServerManager/Resources/readers.xml file.