[Paraview] loading nc formatted data

Simon Su newsgroup4ssu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:41:07 EDT 2011

Hi All,

ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/1.png
ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/2.png
ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/3.png

the above are screen shot from older version of *.nc files that I have that
I loaded up with Paraview 3.10.0 64-bit which I compiled myself. As you can
see, the grid is correctly loaded. But in the data, there is a crack. Is
there a filter that can fix this in ParaView? :)

ftp://ftp.gfdl.noaa.gov/pub/sms/4ParaView/4.png is the latest nc file that I
have of similar simulation preprocessed output. When I loaded it up, it is
clearly doing making assumption on the grid that is not correct and hence,
the double looking grid.

The questions now are:

1. ParaView has lots of *.nc file loader. How do I know which loader is
ParaView using to load the data? If I pick a type for the Files of type
option in the open File window, will that gurantees that ParaView will be
using that particular file loader?

2. If I know which loader is used, I would like to see if I can modify the
existing loader to create a new type of *.nc file loader to fix the grid of
my data. Where is the code in the source tree of ParaView is the loader
plugin placed?

or if there is an easier solution to fix my grid problem that doesn't
involve developing a new data loader plugin that would be better.... :)
please let me know...

thanks
-simon