[Paraview] CoProcessing/Client-Server Paraview

pat marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Fri Mar 4 13:02:46 EST 2011

The paraview coprocessor allows a code developer to embed paraview services
(pipelines & visualizations) into their program.  It is a different concept
that controlling a paraview gui from a command port.

If you want a way to control paraview from a command port, you'd have two

* paraview waits for a command to arrive on the command port.  The paraview
gui is frozen while it waits
* write a paraview qt plugin that introduces a command port thread.  Use
qt's thread-safe signal slot connections to signal the paraview gui when a
new command arrives on the command port.

Both of these options requires that somebody writes new code, these options
are not currently available in paraview.  For the first option, someone
could implement it quite trivially using just a python script and the
python's socket support.  The commands that an external program sends to
paraview command port could be python strings that paraview executes in the
python console.

Pat