[Paraview] CoProcessing/Client-Server Paraview

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Fri Mar 4 09:38:25 EST 2011

This email was originally sent as a reply to a thread
http://markmail.org/message/t22jsckztvnoyafz?q=Paraview started by
Alexander. For some reason no one responded to my comments. Nevertheless
the important question Andy Bauer raised is if Paraview is used for
tasks that do not require the VTK pipeline (paraphrasing). To this I can
reply and emphatic yes. I use Paraview for visualization because the VTK
format is the only graphics file format the supports points, line, and
surfaces and as a ready-made viewer (Paraview). Therefore my programs
(I'm doing geometry processing) save point, line and surface data as VTK
files and no pipeline is required -- just a viewer. What would be nice
would be a *simple* communication mechanism with which my program can
instruct Paraview to just load processed data as soon as they become
available.

I'd like to know the difference between CoProcessing and the following
feature that is currently being implemented:

http://paraview.uservoice.com/forums/11350-general/suggestions/456005-writing-to-paraview-from-an-external-program?ref=title
(an ETA on this feature would be nice)

 From a cursory glance and my experience with other 3d apps (namely
AutoDesk Maya) I find the current CoProcessing(?) implementation a bit
too complicated.

AutoDesk Maya, a highend 3d animation program, has a commandPort feature
that very simple to use. All it requires is a single command that
creates a socket and binds a specified port number to it. Thereafter any
external app can send commands to Maya in its primary scripting language
(MEL) and I suspect now also python. For example, I've configured my
toolchain/IDE (Visual Studio) to send Maya a command, via the
commandPort channel, to unload plugins before attempting to rebuild
them. After building the toolchain/IDE sends another command to Maya
asking it to reload the plugin. Basically, any scripting command that
Maya accepts can be sent by and external app via the commandPort.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/CommandsPython/commandPort.html

Can communication between Paraview and external apps be made this simple?

- Olumide