[Paraview] Concept: A world without Any Bugs

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Jun 8 16:53:55 EDT 2011

Utkarsh

Since you brought up the topic of not "apply"ing filters on creation. Can you tell me a quick fix of how to prevent this related bug of multiple execution of filters ...

Example
1) Load a dataset in parallel
2) Add a Probe Location filter.
I've added output messages to the executives to say when NeedToUpdate returns true and why and here's what I get.
On creation of the filter and hitting apply

vtkPProbeFilter DDP NeedtoUpdate Pipeline Time
vtkPProbeFilter DDP NeedtoUpdate Pipeline Time

Immediatly afterwards ...the probe updates again but this time

vtkPProbeFilter SDDP NeedtoUpdate GhostLevel
vtkPProbeFilter SDDP NeedtoUpdate GhostLevel

Some of these operations take a very long time in my case and having to execute twice is very painful. The trouble is I can't seem to shut the ghostlevel request off (I'm handling ghosts manually, so I don't need ghost levels specified in the information - though I'd rather use the information, but have a ghost region as a 3D extent not a 'level')

Can you tell me where the ghost level is being set. I've put breakpoints on all the obvious places ...but somewhere in one of the geometry/surface/other display filters it must be being set afterwards

Thanks

JB