[Paraview] PV 3.10.1 computing vorticity from vector field

Stephen Wornom stephen.wornom at inria.fr
Fri Jun 3 03:38:34 EDT 2011

Tim Gallagher wrote:
> This is outside of what I usually do, so I may not be much help. But
> once you have the vorticity at all verticies, that should include the
> verticies on the cylinder surface.
Correct

> How do you extract the surface? Is it a body fitted grid or an
> embedded boundary/levelset to mark it?
The geometry is a body fitted 3D cylinder unstructured mesh.
I have an id array for each vertex. The id at interior points is zero.
Each boundary vertex has a non-zero value.
I set the id on the cylinder surface vertices  = -3
The extract the boundary like this.
1-extract surface
2-connectivity
3-threshold with id for the cylinder.
> I would assume if you extract the surface in the pipeline downstream
> of the derivatives and interpolation filters, all of the variables
> would be available on the surface.
I see the cylinder surface and display shows the variables available
(vorticity is there).
I can see the surface vorticity contours and clearly see where flow
separation occurs. I would like to see surface streaklines of the vorticity.
When I click on "surface flow" PV crashes. Maybe I need to transform the
vorticity vector to r,theta,z coordinates before doing "surface flow."
What do you think?
Stephen