[Paraview] Using threshold and warp by scalar

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Jul 27 23:32:38 EDT 2011

Threshold requires scalars to threshold within, and tiff has RGBA data
in it which ParaView thinks of as a vector (for the most part). You
could use the calculator to compute a magnitude of that or pull out
individual components and then the threshold filter will be available.
Alternatively, in 3.10.2 you can turn on the auto convert properties
preference and ParaView will do something similar for you.

The warp isn't available for the same reason and another. Besides
lacking scalars to warp on, tiff files are read in as regularly
structured image data, in which the point locations are not allowed to
move around (if they were it wouldn't be regularly structured). So you
also got to convert to an unstructured type to make it possible to
move the points, after which the warp filter will be available. The
tetrahedralize filter will do that for you, and the threshold filter
does that for you as a side effect too.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer