[Paraview] Ongoing Work to Release Unused Memory from Pipeline

Jérôme jerome.velut at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 03:24:09 EDT 2011

I don't know if it applies to your pipelines, but each time I write an XML
ServerManager to expose a VTK filter in ParaView, I add a ckeckbox for the
vtkAlgorithm's function "ReleaseDataFlag" :

        <IntVectorProperty
                           name="ReleaseDataFlag"
                           command="SetReleaseDataFlag"
                           number_of_elements="1"
                           default_values="0"
                           animateable="0">
            <BooleanDomain name="boolean"/>
            <Documentation>
                  Turn release data flag on or off for all output
ports.
            </Documentation>
         </IntVectorProperty>

Obviously, it implies that the filters with RealeaseDataFlag set to true
will reexecute at each update, even it they are not marked as modified.
You can find such examples in my github repo that exposes VTK native filters
to ParaView: http://github.com/jeromevelut/Peavip . All the
vtkImageAlgorithm derived filter propose this option.

HTH
Jerome