[Paraview] A bunch of novice user questions

Paulo Alexandre Neves paulo.alex.neves at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:07:41 EST 2011

Dear all.

My name is Paulo Neves and I am starting to use Paraview. I already did the great Kenneth Moreland tutorial.
I downloaded and installed Paraview on a Mac OS X machine through the binary dmg, running in standalone mode. Version is 3.8.1.

Here are my questions:
When trying to open a .raw data set, such as the one in attach, I get errors, like
ERROR: In /Users/partyd/Kitware/ParaView-3.8/src/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx, line 184
vtkMPIImageReader (0x126f74e70): File operation failed: 18446744073709512510, ext: 0, 32, 0, 32, 0, 32

The first thing that strikes me is where is /Users/partyd directory! I cannot find this on my machine.
Second the dataset is 32x32x32, 8bit so why the errors?

This leads me to another question: where is the source VTK files (like vtkImageReader) on my machine? Do I need to download the source and compile it to have access to this? Later on I would like to create my own algorithms, so I will need to extend Paraview. Isn't the best way to write such code through VTK?

Sorry for my newbie questions and thanks for your patience!

Kind regards,
Paulo Alexandre Neves
Escola Superior de Tecnologia de Castelo Branco
Unidade Técnico-Cientifica de  Informática
http://di.est.ipcb.pt
E-mail: pneves at ipcb dot pt
Instituto de Telecomunicações (IT)
E-mail: pneves at co dot it dot pt