[Paraview] Level of Detail (LOD) significantly slower in PV3.9.0 compared to PV3.8.1

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Jan 13 09:37:44 EST 2011

Stefan,

You are not seeing the OpenGL-render log events since possibly your
threshold is high. Simply change the "Time Threshold" to "Show All" in
the Timer Log dialog on both processes.

Infact I am seeing very comparable results. Am using debug builds for
both 3.8.1 and 3.9 (as of this morning). Here are my timer logs:

3.8.1
-----------------------------
Interactive Render,  0.004477 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.000933 seconds
        Execute vtkPolyDataMapper id: 41,  9.2e-05 seconds
        Execute vtkPolyDataMapper id: 231,  8.8e-05 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.001162 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  3.6e-05 seconds
Still Render,  0.139497 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.1356 seconds
        Execute vtkPolyDataMapper id: 41,  9.4e-05 seconds
        Execute vtkPolyDataMapper id: 234,  9.5e-05 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.001332 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  3.6e-05 seconds

3.9.0
Interactive Render,  0.004025 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.001218 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  3.6e-05 seconds
Still Render,  0.143199 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.001369 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  4.2e-05 seconds

I simply created a sphere with theta and phi resolution set to 1024.
Make sure that the "Immediate Mode Rendering" checkbox is the same in
both cases (I have it off for both).

Utkarsh