[Paraview] Paraview/pvserver running very slow

Mon Feb 28 07:15:15 EST 2011

Hello,

I’m running paraview 3.8.1 under linux using 8 cpus loading a
reconstructed openfoam case with about 13GB per timestep (we have just
two time steps, start 0 and result 1). The machine on which pvserver
runs has 16 cpus and 70GB RAM, but pvserver uses just a small fraction
of the ram.

subsequent operations were running more smoothly).
Adding a slice takes another couple of minutes. Rotating (using the
mouse) takes about 10sec for one frame to be rendered (the slice is
constant colored). Computing 100 streamlines from a line source takes
about 10 minutes, moving the view is fluent. As soon as the slice is
displayed moving the view becomes extremely slow again.

I have also tried to convert the mesh to VTK which does not really
change something. (Resulting VTK is of 37GB size).

At this state interactive work is not possible. Since the dataset is
not extraordinary large (I think), I suspect a problem with our MPI
configuration.

Offscreen rendering works (I think), we have 8 windows "Visualization
Toolkit – OpenGL" that opens on the client (though the windows remain
black).

MPI implementation is SGI MPI. I have also tried to compile openmpi
1.4.3 and pvserver from source, yet it’s still very slow. The client
used is the x64 build from the paraview homepage.

MPI setup is for local use only.

I am grateful for any help…

Florian