[Paraview] Paraview network interface

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Sun Feb 27 15:06:25 EST 2011

I'd like to know the difference between CoProcessing and the following
feature that is currently being implemented:

http://paraview.uservoice.com/forums/11350-general/suggestions/456005-writing-to-paraview-from-an-external-program?ref=title

 From a cursory glance and my experience with other 3d apps (namely
AutoDesk Maya) I find the current CoProcessing(?) implementation a bit
too complicated.

AutoDesk Maya, a highend 3d animation program, has a commandPort feature
that very simple to use. All it requires is a single command that
creates a socket and binds a specified port number to it. Thereafter any
external app can send commands to Maya in its primary scripting language
(MEL) and I suspect now also python. For example, I've configured my
toolchain/IDE (Visual Studio) to send Maya a command, via the
commandPort channel, to unload plugins before attempting to rebuild
them. After building the toolchain/IDE sends another command to Maya
asking it to reload the plugin. Basically, any scripting command that
Maya accepts can be sent by and external app via the commandPort.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/CommandsPython/commandPort.html

Can communication between Paraview and external apps be made this simple?

- Olumide