[Paraview] Transparency based on scalar

David Pont David.Pont at scionresearch.com
Sun Feb 13 15:14:58 EST 2011

Hi Tim,
A workaround may be to create your own color map which includes alpha values. In Object Inspector, Display tab, Color panel, Edit Color Map... you can choose from a set of preset color maps, and Import your own. I have used Export on an existing one to save as xml, then edited or written new xml color map, and Imported that although I never played with alpha values.
I have noticed in the interactive Color Scale Editor GUI some color maps allow you to interactively set alpha while at other times they do not ! Perhaps something to do with the type of dataset? In which case you may be stuck? ie volumes allow alpha, surfaces don't? You might even try interactive editing first, by clicking in the color bar in the Color Scale Editor you can add new points, dragging those up or down changes opacity, as does manually entering a value in the Opacity box, but sometimes that is disabled. Someone out there must know the reasons behind this? but perhaps there are enough clues here for you to make something work for you.

  cheers Dave
David Pont
Scientist - Forest Management Science
Scion
49 Sala Street, Private Bag 3020, Rotorua 3046, New Zealand
DDI +64 7 343 5663
www.scionresearch.com<http://www.scionresearch.com/>