[Paraview] how to add custom filter to custom menu

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 31 15:32:55 EDT 2011

Hi Kate,

There's also an easy way to create a toolbar via xml (example below, add
"show_in_toolbar" and "icon"attributes).

<ParaViewFilters>
<Category name="Common" menu_label="&amp;Common" preserve_order="1"
     show_in_toolbar="1">
<Proxy group="filters" name="Calculator"
icon=":/pqWidgets/Icons/pqCalculator24.png"/>
</Category>
</ParaViewFilters>

But you are asking about menus...

On the wiki there is some info about adding menus
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Plugin_HowTo#Adding_a_Menu it's almost the same
as adding a toolbar.There is an example of a toolbar that creates
sources, Examples/Plugins/SourceToolbar to work from. That shows how to
create a source but you need a filter.

The difference between creating sources and filters is that for filters
you have to specify the filters input (see pqObjectBuilder::createFilter).

here is a snippet that would locate the selected sources. I think you
could use this to get the source for your filter. Then it will be an
easy change to the SourceToolbar example.

     pqApplicationCore* core = pqApplicationCore::instance();
     pqServerManagerSelection sels =
*core->getSelectionModel()->selectedItems();
     pqPipelineSource* source = 0;
     pqServerManagerModelItem* item = 0;
     if(sels.empty())
     {
         return NULL;
     }
     pqServerManagerSelection::ConstIterator iter = sels.begin();

     item = *iter;
     source = dynamic_cast<pqPipelineSource*>(item);

Sorry to be so imprecise, and note I have't tried this. Hope it helps
Burlen